How to transport magnetic materials by air
Air transportation has certain particularity, in order to ensure safety, both people and goods need to do safety inspection before boarding. If you take a plane with magnetic materials, such as NdFeB permanent magnet, or if the customer is anxious for the goods and wants the manufacturer to deliver them by air, can we take the magnets on the plane? Today, yueci will take you to know how to transport magnetic materials by air?
Because the weak stray magnetic field interferes with the aircraft’s navigation system and control signals, the International Air Transport Association (IATA) lists magnetic cargo as Category 9 dangerous goods, which must be restricted during acceptance. Therefore, some air cargoes with magnetic materials need to be magnetically tested to ensure the normal flight of the aircraft. Magnetic materials, audio materials and other instruments containing magnetic accessories are subject to magnetic testing.
Air transport standards
Table of Contents
According to the relevant provisions of IATA902: If the maximum magnetic field strength measured 2.1m away from the measured object does not exceed 0.159A/m (200nT, which is equal to 2mGs = 0.002Gs), the object is not restricted as a magnetic substance and can be used as General cargo handling.
If the maximum magnetic field strength measured at a distance of 2.1m from the measured object exceeds 0.159A/m, but any magnetic field at a distance of 4.6m from the surface of the measured object is less than 0.418A/m, the goods can be accepted as dangerous goods.
If the intensity of any magnetic field at a distance of 4.6m from the surface of the tested item is greater than 0.418A/m, then the item is strictly forbidden to be transported by air.
How to meet air transport standards
In order to meet the above air transportation requirements, it is necessary to demagnetize the magnets that are transported by air. Although it is called demagnetization, it is not demagnetization of the magnets, but through special shielding packaging, so that the magnetic display of the package meets the requirements of air transportation safety. Shielding and packaging generally use high-permeability materials, such as cold-rolled sheets, galvanized sheets, etc., if the amount of magnetic materials is large, it must be packed in several layers. The magnetic permeability of high-permeability materials is very high. According to the Faraday cage principle, the magnetic field mainly circulates in the box after packaging, and there is very little leakage. The shielding package is then packed in a carton or wooden box.
Packing matters for magnet to be paid attention to in air transportation:
- 1. The opposite poles of instruments and devices such as magnetron and illuminance meter must be placed relatively.
- 2. Permanent magnet materials must be equipped with magnetic armature or screen opening to prevent the deviation of compass instrument caused by magnetic field.
- 3. Each package of magnetic materials must be correctly marked and labeled in accordance with Chapter 7 of the ICAC hazardous materials rules.
- 4. Ensure that the magnetic field strength measured at 4.6 meters (15 feet) from the surface of the package does not exceed 0.418a / M (0.00525 Gauss) before the shipment.
- 5. Wooden case packing is recommended outside the large part.
Airlines or logistics companies that carry magnetic materials will require customers to do magnetic testing and issue “Air Transport Conditions Identification Report” to ensure the normal flight of the aircraft. Air transport appraisal can generally only be issued by a qualified professional appraisal company recognized by the civil aviation administration, and it is generally necessary to send samples to the appraisal company for professional testing and then issue an appraisal report. If it is inconvenient to send samples, professionals from the appraisal company will conduct on-site inspection and then issue an appraisal report. The validity period of the appraisal report is generally used this year, and it is generally re-made after the new year.
In magnetic testing, the customer needs to package the goods according to the air transport requirements. The testing will not damage the packaging of the goods. In principle, the testing does not open the box, but only detects the stray magnetic field on the 6 sides of each cargo. If the magnetic inspection of the goods fails, special attention is required. First, with the consent of the customer, the magnetic inspection staff will be entrusted to unpack the goods for inspection, and then make relevant reasonable suggestions based on the specific situation. If the shielding can meet the requirements of air transportation, the cargo will be shielded according to the customer’s entrustment and related fees will be charged.
Yueci’s actual measurement
In order to confirm the accuracy of the above content, Yueci called major logistics companies in the name of sending NdFeB magnets, and got the following conclusions:
- Domestic delivery: mainstream logistics companies such as SF Express and Shentong do not accept air waybills for magnetic materials, and can only be transported by land; EMS, if the customer can issue the “Air Transport Conditions Identification Report”, the express delivery staff will determine whether it can be Receive.
- Shipping abroad: EMS and SF Express do not accept the waybills for magnetic materials sent overseas (including Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan), and they will not accept orders whether by land or by air. DHL or UPS can be used for shipping overseas, but both require customers to do magnetic testing. The express company can apply for testing services on an agent. Generally, DGM is used for testing (different testing agencies at the place of delivery), and the cost is paid by the customer.
Source: China Permanent Magnet Manufacturer – www.ymagnet.com